Falls are the leading cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries for older people.
Falls threaten seniors’ safety and independence.
Falls are the leading cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries for older people. Falls threaten seniors’ safety and independence.
Age is one of the key risk factors for falls. Older people have the highest risk of death or serious injury arising from a fall and the risk increases with age. For example, in the United States of America, 20–30% of older people who fall suffer moderate to severe injuries such as bruises, hip fractures, or head trauma. This risk level may be in part due to physical, sensory, and cognitive changes associated with ageing, in combination with environments that are not adapted for an aging population
• Falls are the leading cause of fatal injury and the most common cause of nonfatal trauma-related hospital admissions among elderly.
• According to statistics, 1 in 4 seniors over the age of 65 have a fall each year.
• One out of five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones or a head injury
• More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling, usually by falling sideways
• Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries
Many falls do not cause injuries. Falls, with or without injury, also carry a heavy quality of life impact. A growing number of older adults fear falling and, as a result, limit their activities and social engagements. This can result in further physical decline, depression, social isolation, and feelings of helplessness.
If you are worried about falls yourself, or worried for someone who may be prone, an alarm with serious fall detection may be of assistance.
The fall detection within this alarms senses serious falls where someone may become incapacitated. Should it detect a serious impact and an altitude drop of more than 1m, the alarm has auto fall detection and will enter into it emergency mode. It will wait for 10 seconds sensing if there is any movement, and if none is detected, it will automatically send an SOS message to the devices contacts.
Sensitivity can be adjusted and fall detection can be turned off when required.
Live your Life